About this Blog

I am creating this blog to record my walk with the Lord. I will be posting about what the Holy Spirit is revealing to me through the Scriptures, what I am learning through other religious material, and noting how other believers are blessing me with their insight and wisdom. Learning the Word is a work in progress, something that may, and should, take my whole lifetime to do. My biggest desire is to be nearer to the Lord everyday. I'm a daughter of the Most High and I aim to be a light for Him. I encourage you to read my posts and comment (if you like) on them. Feel free to write your opinion on any of the subjects. If we disagree on something, please state it respectfully, for I am striving to share my walk and my understanding of the Scriptures and not to offend anyone~so I ask that you do the same. Thank you for stopping by!!
May God Bless You Always!
~~~~Laura Noemi Sandoval~~~~

Saturday, February 19, 2011

No Fretting-Yikes!

I've been reading through the bible and a couple of weeks ago I was reading about the Israelites and their 40 years of roaming around-waiting to get to the promised land. It's almost comical how they seemed to be going around and around aimlessly-complaining, fretting, always dissatisfied. Miracles are being performed in front of their eyes, and yet they are blind to it. In the kid's LIFEPAC bible books it actually shows a map of their "roaming" days and you gotta wonder, what were they thinking? Then I was talking to a very good friend of mine, a devoted believer who shared with me something that she was feeling while reading through the same passages. She told me how she was so grateful that the Lord had taken her out of her "version" of Egypt. That she was in a state of "slavery"-as all non believers are-and she was grateful for His mercies-His forgiveness. We went on to talk some more about that and then it happened....my eyes were open to my "version" of roaming around in the wilderness, let me explain...

If you don't know my story then here's the short version of it. My husband has been building our house, literally, building the house for the last 10 years. It sits on 25 acres of sheer wilderness. He had to start from zero-even the driveway (of dirt) had to be cleared out. It is beautiful here, just breath taking but I have to tell you it is hard to build a house when you are not a contractor or have never worked in construction (my husband is a cardio-respiratory therapist). When we started this project, we moved in with my mother who lives in the property next door to where we are building. We lived there for about 3 1/2 years. Then we moved to our old house (which we had sold to my twin sister and was vacant-it was her vacation house) about 4 blocks away from my mother's house. We lived there for about 3 1/2 more years and then we bought our travel trailer and moved to our property (where we are now). During our "roaming" years we were sometimes fretting, sometimes envious of other people having what we wanted, and more times than not, disappointing because of the slow progress-sounds familiar?? We moved 3 times within a 1 mile radius all along fretting and dissatisfied.

As I mentioned earlier in my posts, I have been studying the psalms. Psalm 37 is totally devoted to teaching the believer that fretting is not for us. It talks about the believer's attitude toward the apparent success of the wicked and the hardships of the righteous. It talks about how the ungodly will eventually lose all they acquire on earth, whereas the righteous (who remain loyal to God) will have his presence, help and guidance on earth and will inherit salvation and the promised land. It tells us that we are to trust in the Lord and commit our ways to Him. We are to refrain from anger and turn from wrath. Most importantly, it tells us "do not fret-it leads only to evil." Since thoroughly studying this Psalm, I have made it a point to stop my fretting, and when talking to my dear friend, I realized that my past "complaining" nature may have been the snare that was keeping us from completing our house. Our trailer is parked right next to the house-just a foot or two away, just like the Israelites where steps away from the land of milk and honey. It takes a changed-repentant heart, a devoted believer and a trusting "no fretting" soul to realize the greatness of our Lord-I aim to be all that and more! I love the way the Lord is using my learning of the Psalms along with the blessings of the knowledge of other believers to open my eyes and see the miracles that He has performed on my behalf. During our "roaming" years, I have been blessed to have given birth to 2 adorable boys (Ramzey and Maverick) and in addition, to have been able to raise and homeschool my two daughters (Andrea and Bethanie) and Will Jr (my oldest son). My husband and I have had surgeries during those years, and came out of them healthier than before. Our Lord never forgot us, He never put us aside although my devotion and praise for His blessings was less than desirable. No! instead He continued to bless me with a wonderful family, great friends, and all that I needed. He has patiently waited for me to "get it" and thanks to the Scriptures, the Holy Spirit and my friend..I think I do get it. Thank you Lord!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, so true. I had never thought about comparing their wilderness with our own. How we complain and whine amidst the miracles and blessings that are right in front of us. OK-I'm going to work on this, too.

    ReplyDelete