About this Blog

I am creating this blog to record my walk with the Lord. I will be posting about what the Holy Spirit is revealing to me through the Scriptures, what I am learning through other religious material, and noting how other believers are blessing me with their insight and wisdom. Learning the Word is a work in progress, something that may, and should, take my whole lifetime to do. My biggest desire is to be nearer to the Lord everyday. I'm a daughter of the Most High and I aim to be a light for Him. I encourage you to read my posts and comment (if you like) on them. Feel free to write your opinion on any of the subjects. If we disagree on something, please state it respectfully, for I am striving to share my walk and my understanding of the Scriptures and not to offend anyone~so I ask that you do the same. Thank you for stopping by!!
May God Bless You Always!
~~~~Laura Noemi Sandoval~~~~

Friday, April 29, 2011

The Greener Grass Conspiracy

I have been blessed with the opportunity to review a book called "The Greener Grass Conspiracy" by Stephen Altrogge.  The author, a Christian pastor from Pennsylvania, offered a free copy of his book to anyone on his Facebook friend's list who would read and review it before it's actual release date of April 30th.  I love his posts on Facebook because they are very funny and very insightful, so I quickly answered the request and anxiously waited for my book to arrive.
For starters, this book is written in a humorous, down-to-earth manner, which makes it not just an easy read but also an "I cant put this book down" read.  You never feel as though you are getting a lecture or you are being singled out as the only discontent person in the world. Altrogge is very candid about his own struggle to stay focused on being content.  This makes it easy to relate to him and therefore reading the book feels more like having a conversation with a good friend than anything else. I loved how every time he pointed out a negative characteristic of the discontent Christian, he quickly followed it up with advise as to how to attack it head on. His methods for change are all based on Scripture-quoting lots of verses throughout the entire book-which I love.
The entire book is great.  Each chapter has it's own important message, however, personally  the chapter called "Bloody Contentment" was the one which most impacted me.  In this chapter, the focus is on Christ and all that He did on our behalf.  This chapter really opens your eyes as to how our "complaining" and our "discontent" is coming across to the Lord. Altrogge puts it this way:

"When we complain, we're loudly saying that the blessings of the gospel aren't enough.  We're saying that the death of Christ isn't enough.  We're saying that eternal fellowship with God, purchased at great cost to God, isn't enough to satisfy our souls.  We're saying that forgiveness of sins and peace with God is nice, but not that nice.  We're saying that God "[has] not wisdom, or power, or mercy enough" to provide for us.  We're saying that God himself, who is the very definition of goodness, isn't good enough. We would like a little something more, if you don't mind. God plus [insert desire of choice] should do the trick.  When we complain, we accuse God of being stingy, of not giving us enough" (page 72).

This book is for everyone, Christian and non-believer alike.  I highly recommend it.


Check out the book on Amazon by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment