About this Blog

I am creating this blog to record my walk with the Lord. I will be posting about what the Holy Spirit is revealing to me through the Scriptures, what I am learning through other religious material, and noting how other believers are blessing me with their insight and wisdom. Learning the Word is a work in progress, something that may, and should, take my whole lifetime to do. My biggest desire is to be nearer to the Lord everyday. I'm a daughter of the Most High and I aim to be a light for Him. I encourage you to read my posts and comment (if you like) on them. Feel free to write your opinion on any of the subjects. If we disagree on something, please state it respectfully, for I am striving to share my walk and my understanding of the Scriptures and not to offend anyone~so I ask that you do the same. Thank you for stopping by!!
May God Bless You Always!
~~~~Laura Noemi Sandoval~~~~

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Delighting in the Lord

Psalm 1

I love the way this Psalm starts, it's direct and to the point:

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord and on his law he meditates day and night.
(verse 1-2 ~I added the emphasis)


Psalm 37
Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.
(verse 4~I added the emphasis)

What does it mean to delight?

To "delight" in something means to get pleasure out of it or to enjoy. However, when applied to the Lord, the word "delight" takes on a bigger, deeper meaning. It means to love, obey, seek, quote, think about, praise and yes-to enjoy! Psalm 1 states that we should delight in Him and on his law~ and meditate (reflect) on it day and night. We can't just read the Word and put it aside, we are being told to reflect on it all day and all night. When we meditate on the law then we can truly start to understand it. Once we understand it, we can act on it. It should be apparent to anyone you come across that you are a child of the Most High. Your actions, your deeds, your words should be a reflection of Him. So, delight in Him and his law~you will be blessed by it (like it says in the beginning of the Psalm).

I have read Psalm 37:4 many, many times and I have quoted it even more. But it was not until this year, while doing a deeper study in the Psalms that I really understood it, let me explain:

I've been reading how you should "delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart" right? but my head registered something else (easier to accomplish too-how convenient of me). I understood it as "become a believer and He will give your the desires of your heart." Funny how we read the words but only register in our heads what we want to hear. It is way easier to just be a believer and "ta-da" you get the desires of your heart, rather than delighting in the Lord to get what you desire. Like I said earlier, you can't just read the Scriptures-you have to meditate on them-then you'll understand it's message. Now I know that I have to delight in Him-which like I mentioned above means: Read the bible, sing praises, meditate on the law, obey his commands, love the Lord, seek him day and night, act on what I've learned, quote Scripture in my speech, etc.

Honestly, I am enjoying my delighting in the Lord and hope you do too. Maybe the blessing I am receiving is the pure, honest joy of immersing myself in Him!

7 comments:

  1. When people say there is a God shaped whole in one's heart it sounds cliche. Like so many cliches there is truth in the saying. I think it is important to point out that once you become a believer the desires of your heart change. My desires went from me, me, me to Him. To work toward a life more deserving of His love and to share His word with both those I know and to do my small part with those I may not know. God is so good!

    Love your new blog :)

    Blessings!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Trish (and for liking my blog :-) )You are so right-our focus is on Him and so everything changes, even our desires. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post. Very true, often we think that just by reading the bible and saying our prayers before bed we have done our "duty".

    God wants a relationship with us, He wants us to spend time with Him and love Him with our whole hearts. "Trust in the Lord with ALL your Heart..." "love the Lord thy God with ALL your heart, soul, mind, and strength"

    When we delight in Him and He in us His desires become our desires and His will is fulfilled in our lives. May God continue to bless you.

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard in a sermon recently about the idea of a "circular prayer". The desire start with God, as we abide in Him, it becomes a desire in our heart, and then eventually out of our mouths in prayer to God's ear. Isn't that great? My prayer is that the desires of my heart are His desires for me and this life that I am living here.
    Great blog, Laura....love, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Blog Laura thank you for sharing.

    Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much everybody for blessing me with your comments. You have no idea how much I appreciate your input-I have so much to learn and I reflect on all your words~Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW-you are hitting some pretty hard stuff here, on my end. I'm not sure I thought about it that way. I have some serious work to do.

    Me too...I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!! Keep it comin', sister!

    ReplyDelete